Monday, September 12, 2011

Ten Years Reflecting Life Changes

In honor of the tenth anniversary of September 11th, I thought it would be nice to reflect on the magnitude of that day and how it has impacted your life and the choices you have made and are making to this day.

That tragic day was a wake-up call. If you were like me it sent me into a tail spin. I felt helpless and wanted to do something, but I feared we, as a nation, were out of control. I felt there was little I could do to get a real sense of control over that horrifying ordeal. The sense of fear and anger was taking over. But the overwhelming feeling was, “Life is so precious”.

I was not alone. Many people I talked with told me similar things. We had discussions of how to seriously re-evaluate priorities. We considered things like: What is truly important to me? What do I have control over in my life? What do I need to change in my life? Life’s too short to keep putting off something that has real meaning and purpose.

I would like to invite you to revisit the events of 9/11 as an opportunity for a challenge. Think about if there were things in your life you wanted to change. It might have been building stronger relationship with those you love. You might have wanted to shift the direction of your career. You simply may have wanted to laugh more or find more meaning in your everyday activities.

Let me encourage you to summon some of those memories and answer the following questions. After that day:

  • What did you feel was truly important to you?

  • What did you feel you wanted to change about your life?

  • Was there something you felt you had been putting off that you wanted act on?

Now let me ask the most important question of them all … Did you do anything about it?

In a time where everything feels like it’s out of control, what can help us get back on track is to understand there are things in our lives we have the ability to have control over. Even if that objective feels insurmountable, taking one step at a time in that direction will help you live a more authentic, genuine life, one filled with fulfillment and worth.

There is the real challenge, what action – what one step can you make to move yourself to get you on your way? Then ask yourself the same question tomorrow, then the next day, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment