Friday, September 16, 2011

Every Employee (Potential Employee) Needs a Sponsor

My definition of a mentor is a wise and trusted advisor. Do you have one? Do you have many? I have, over the years, sought out the guidance of many a person whom I valued their opinion and sought out their advise. I tuned to them consistently. They taught me how to make short cuts to a successful outcome. They showed me where the “land minds” were. I was able to avoid costly, even wasteful investments of time or money because of their input. Even though having a mentor who can be a role model is very valuable, there are times when a mentor, especially if the workplace is a common one, may not be enough … even more so if they are a mentor who is of the “assigned” version.


Don’t get me wrong, I think building a bond between working colleagues is a great, if not important idea. I just feel that developing that relationship to the point where that individual can become your sponsor is more impactful. A sponsor goes beyond the classic mentor, they become your advocate. They would be willing to put your name on the table when an opportunity comes up for which you are well suited. They become a champion for you – even campaign on your behalf.


How do you build that kind of a relationship? It comes from a good history … a track record of trust and observed success in your performance. Being able to communicate, then demonstrate one’s assets - how one makes a difference to the success of a project, department and yes the overall success of an organization is the key. Having a mentor’s guidance transform into a sponsor is to ask for their role to shift – for them to take an active part in helping you succeed. Your part is providing them with the evidence of why they should offer your name to the decision makers. You need to exhibit, “This is why I feel I can make a difference. Here’s what my vision of this role would look like.” Then ask, “Will you champion my cause?”


So go ahead, look for, then build, the kind of relationship with a great sponsor who can help you get to your desired level.

No comments:

Post a Comment